Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Have Some Joe Bro!

Hi...my name is Ben....and I am addicted to...coffee. It’s true, I can honestly say that I have had 1-3 cups of coffee everyday for the last two years of my life. It wakes me up in the morning alongside a nice plate of scrambled eggs (and veggies) and lately I have been drinking a big cup before I work out.

Coffee boasts a relatively high caffeine (about 120mg per cup) content. Caffeine functions as an appetite suppressant, boosts dopamine production (makes you feel good), increases systematic blood flow, and enhances alertness. Ok, maybe you already knew about some of the benefits of caffeine. So what else makes coffee an extremely potent addition to one’s daily nutritional routine?

Researchers have found that “every extra cup of coffee consumed in one day was correlated with a 7% decrease in the excess risk of diabetes.” http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/booster_shots/2009/12/a-cup-or-more-of-coffee-or-tea-a-day-could-keep-type-2-diabetes-away.html

For male coffee drinkers the likelihood of prostate cancer is reduced significantly. http://www.aacr.org/home/public--media/aacr-press-releases.aspx?d=1685

It is important for me to point out that the caffeine found in coffee was not the only component of the drink that directly correlated with the results found in the two studies above. Coffee is jam-packed with antioxidants and other favorable micronutrients that make the beverage particularly advantageous to one’s health.

So, don’t be afraid to drink another cup of joe bro!

1 comment:

  1. I gotta disagree with you on this one. Coffee does have some benefits, but, IMO, caffeine is no good.

    ReplyDelete